Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Lincoln




Yesterday I watched the Oscar winning movie Lincoln, which is based on the last year of Abraham Lincoln’s life.  I feel it’s an important movie to watch and it actually made me cry a few times and I just wanted to share with you two quotes/scenes from the movie that really spoke to me.


Thaddeus Stevens speaks to The House:

How can I hold that all men are created equal when here before me stands stinking, the moral carcass of the gentleman from Ohio, proof that some men ARE inferior, endowed by their maker with dim wits impermeable to reason with cold, pallid slime in their veins instead of hot blood! You are more reptile than man, Mr. Pendleton, so low and flat that the foot of man is incapable of crushing you! Yet even YOU, Pendleton, who should have been gibbetted for treason long before today, even worthless, unworthy you deserve to be treated equally before the law! And so again, I say that I do not hold with equality in all things, only with equality before the law!


Lincoln to his wife Mary about grief:

I couldn't tolerate you grieving so for Willie because I couldn't permit it in myself, though I wanted to, Mary. I wanted to crawl under the earth, into the vault with his coffin. I still do. Every day I do. Don't speak to me about grief. 
I must make my decisions, Bob must make his, you yours. And bear what we must, hold and carry what we must. What I carry within me, you must allow me to do it, alone as I must. And you alone, Mary, you alone may lighten this burden, or render it intolerable. As you choose.



xoxo Alexa J.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment